Bag Lady

Earlier this evening, I filled two enormous bags with maternity and baby clothes for yet another nursery fundraiser. What struck me - apart from my dependency on New Look size XL tops when pregnant - is how easy it was to part with these clothes. Not just because I have worn them again and again, rather I know that I'm done. Even here in the sticks where four is the new three in terms of normal child count for a family, I know I'm done. Though perhaps I'll keep one or two of those tops for slouching purposes. Or a change of mind.

This week's rose in the fridge:
Long Country Cabernet Sauvignon Rose, £4/bottle, http://www.tesco.com/
The images of Chile shown on TV tonight are horribly different to the ones I know: twisted metal, piles of concrete and devastation following Saturday's earthquake. The wine trade in this country is good at looking out for their own and extended family and will no doubt find ways to channel funds back to families in need. Continuing to buy Chilean wine must help in some small way too.

Current red on the side:
Biferno Rosso DOC Riserva Gran Conti, 2005, £4.99, currently half price, http://www.tesco.com/
This is a little-known but at least pronouncable Italian red from the Molise region in central Italy, made from a blend of Montepulciano and Aglianico grapes. Brooding bramble fruit with added spice, this tastes warm, generous and supple. It went brilliantly with beef stew on Friday but has gone down just as well with a simple bowl of tomato-sauce-smothered pasta tonight. 

xx

Labels: , , , , ,