What's the big deal?

I had to work last Saturday at a wine fair, leaving bearded husband with the three children from 8 in the morning until 8 at night. When I got home, the children were all in bed, the (ready made) fish pie was in the oven and the house surprisingly tidy. There was even a glass of wine with my name on it. I asked how their day was, how everyone had been. Oh, fine. No problems. Lovely. And then the shrug of the shoulders. That 'I-don't-know-what-all-the-fuss-is-about' shrug of the shoulders. AKA the 'looking-after-children-all-day-lark-is-a-walk-in-the-park' shrug of the shoulders. Which I suppose it is when you don't include two loads of washing and a supermarket shop... 

This week's white in the fridge: Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2009, £6.40, currently 25% off, Waitrose

So it seems everyone knew about this one being on offer before me. Actually, I hadn't bought this wine for a very long time as there are so many other good NZ Sauvignons to try but suddenly, with a couple of quid off, it is hard to resist. Loaded with classic Marlborough region gooseberry aromas and passion fruit flavours, this is what I'd call a malleable wine. Without food or with light stir fries, it won't complain. It will just sit politely in your glass and zing when asked.

Current red on the side: Tim Adams Protege Shiraz 2007, £7.50, currently 25% off, Tesco

I tasted this wine last Saturday at the wine fair and it was one of the best red wines at the show. Fantastic at the price, this is a really grown-up Shiraz, surprising given it's name. Made from grapes grown in the Clare Valley in South Australia, this has classic black fruit and plum characters, together with a gorgeous peppery note. Tim Adams is a great winemaker, a gentle giant of a man (a bit like his wines). Put this with food to really make it work, steak rather than sushi, obv.

Cheers, darlings x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,