Hipster

Shortly after 12am this morning, at the International Wine Challenge Awards Dinner in London (click here for results), I was on the dance floor in high heels and Westwood. And I was actually Shakira. In bed by 2am, awake by 6am, back home from town by 8am ready for the school run. For just a little while, I felt invincible. Then it started to fall apart. Turns out the hips do, in fact, lie (and yes, I'm talking to you, Shakira). The hips I'd had on the dance floor i.e. those of a twenty year old in my head had been replaced with my own, slightly worn out ones. I still ache down both sides and my feet hurt. Now I don't feel like dancing, no sir, no dancing today...

Current rose in the fridge: Tesco Finest Navarra Rose 2010, £6.64, Tesco.com
This wine was named as the IWC Great Value Champion Rose at last night's Awards Dinner, and it is a real gem of a wine. Made from the Grenache grape grown in vineyards in the Navarra region in northern Spain, this wine is brilliant in colour, flavour and price. Having just had a weeks' holiday where I was never more than a few feet away from a glass of Spanish Rose, I can honestly say none were as lovely as this one. Strawberries, cranberries and, I think, a slight twist of orange. Pretty label too. Doesn't need food but has enough flavour and body to cope with fairly robust dishes, including those with a bit of spice. 

Current red on the side: Familia Zuccardi FuZion Shiraz/Malbec 2009, £5.21, Waitrose.com
In an effort to put off that back to school feeling, I made a huge spaghetti bolognese on Sunday night, and we drank this with it. It worked. In fact, the wine has a definite Autumnal feel, with bramble fruit flavours and lovely smooth spice. Made from a blend of Shiraz (70%) and Malbec (30%), this is a clever  blend that does what it should; that is pick up the taste buds, shake them awake and make you want to eat huge bowl of spag bol in front of good Sunday Night telly. 


Now, I was getting a bit saggy so I've had a bit of work done. On the blog, that is. Looking forward to unveiling the results in a few weeks.

Pip pip x

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,