My Birthday List

I am 39 years old on Sunday. Totally fine with that. What I am not fine with is my birthday wish list. I wrote it down earlier this week. It looked like this:

1. A wheelbarrow
2. A new roasting dish

That was it. Pathetic. I am sharing it with you now in the hope that I might shake myself into action. In years gone by, the lists started months before the birthday. It was full of desirable, mostly shallow stuff with a few books thrown in to make me look clever. And now? My life is not complete until I get that wheelbarrow.

Although some Creme de la Mer would be nice.

Current white in the fridge: Tesco Finest Gavi, 2010, £5.69, Tesco.com
Last week Tesco won the award for the best own label range of wines at the vinous equivalent of the Oscars, the International Wine Challenge. The awards dinner is ever so slightly less star-studded than the actual Oscars but we do get Oz Clarke and he's much more amusing than a blubbing Gwyneth, so we're happy. Anyhoo, no idea if this wine won an award this year but I am giving it a gold star for deliciousness. If you like fruity, not-too-oaky Chardonnay you'll probably like this. Peaches and apricots, that's all I need to tell you. Made from the Cortese grape, this is a hidden Italian gem of a wine desperate to be enjoyed with a simple bowl of pasta and pesto. As I did.  


Current red on the side: Errazuriz Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, £5.69, Waitrose
Oh this is good, this is very good indeed. It so happens it is national Buy Chilean Wine Month (I think it has a catchier title but go with it) and if you haven't tried Chilean wine before, you have to come out from under that rock. It is brilliant value, brilliantly made (mostly) and this one is brilliantly lovely. Now, producers are starting to really explore and vineyards are being planted in cooler climates resulting in more interesting wines. This one is from one the country's oldest and best producers, so you are in safe hands. 


Peace out, winos x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,