The Crying Game

Opening Ceremony? I cried. Lizzie Armitstead's cycling Silver? Cried again. Rebecca Adlington's 400m freestyle Bronze? More waterworks. Men's team gymnastics? Equestrian team? FFS, that too. And then there's the GB women's football team...the whole thing is quite amazing. Best of all, it is happening here. Lordy, seems I have been possessed by the Olympic spirit. Just not enough to get me off the sofa.

Current white in the fridge: Tesco Simply Muscadet 2011, £3.33 on offer, Tesco.com
This was outrageously cheap when I bought it last week, because Tesco has been running a 25% off all wine & Champagne offer (ends tonight). But even at just under £5 at its usual price, it is properly great value. Muscadet is not the most exciting wine in the world, but it is a wonderful food wine, especially if you are having something as deliciously simple as an omelette (as I did last night). Made from the Melon de Bourgogne grape, this is from the Loire Valley in northern France. Don't expect fireworks, just a really refreshing glass of crisp, dry white wine with a lemon twist. In which case, you wont be disappointed. Even my mother gave it the thumbs up.


Current red in the rack: Waitrose Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva 2009, Chile, £7.59 on offer, Waitrose
This one is made exclusively for Waitrose by one of my favourite Chilean producers, Vina Valdivieso, made from Cabernet grapes grown in the Maipo Valley, This is no shrinking violet, with big, bold, beautiful blackcurrant flavours. But if you buy a Chilean Cabernet, that's probably what you are hoping for. It is also smooth as Tom Daley's chest. Sorry, I have been looking. Wrong I know, but there you go. I blame the Olympic spirit. 

Chin chin x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,