It's not all about me.

OK, it mostly is but bear with until the end of the post and if you're in London over the bank holiday weekend, there's a chance to grab some tickets for a big wine thing. So, me first. I has news. Firstly, hampers-and-loose-leaf-tea emporium Fortnum & Mason, on London's Piccadilly, has announced the shortlist for their inaugural Food & Drink Awards and I seem to have crashed the online drinks writer shortlist. Now, I'm not going to ask for votes - lord, no! - but will let you know what the outcome is, on the 14th May. Unless I don't win, in which case we'll say no more about it.

Secondly, the BritMums Brilliance in Blogging Awards, aka the BiBs (see what they did there?) is a big deal in blogging circles. Now, I feel like a bit of a fraud being here because I dole out wine advice rather than anything that might help on the parenting front. Oh, hang on...Anyway, I've been nominated in the Outstanding Category (small squeal) and this one does need votes. So forget what I said before about not asking for votes and click here, scroll down the page to the last section and this blog is number 8 on the list. Lucky for some.

And finally, to last week's Call My Wine Bluff event, organised by Actionaid and my friend Jerry. Once again, I made an exhibition of myself by trying to guess wines blind in front of a small crowd of celebrities. And 300 guests. Still, £625,000 was raised and I got to meet Philip Schofield, Ed Byrne, Arabella Weir and Hugh Dennis. Amazing, really.

Current white in the fridge: Duikar White 2012, £9.99, Majestic
This is a peppy little wine, a blend of Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay and Semillon made by man-of-the-moment (in South African wine terms, anyway) Adi Badenhorst in the region-of-the-moment (in South African wine terms, anyway) Swartland. Anyway, all that matters with this wine is that you enjoy the moment, preferably sitting down, with a handful of nuts. Peachy, bright and perky, this wine makes you feel like there are warmer days ahead.  

Current red in the rack: Piccini Memoro Red, £5 on offer, Tesco
I've written about this wine before. At £5 it is ridiculous value for money. Made from grapes sourced from four corners of Italy - there's Montepulciano, Nero d'Avola, Pinot Noir and Primitivo grapes in there - the result is a big, brambly dollop of joy with more than a tickle of alcohol. Rich, ripe and really quite the bargain. Needs food though; worked with our sausages and mash a treat. 


P.s. If you are in London over the bank holiday weekend and like Spanish food and wine, from 3rd – 6th May the Southbank Centre will be full of stall owners from the La Boqueria street market. Campo Viejo, the wine brand from Rioja, is behind it and they've donated a couple of tickets for all of the masterclasses on the Sunday & Monday, including the chance to blend your own wine. There's more info on their facebook page (www.streetsofspain.com) but if you'd like to go, leave your name below along with the day you'd like the tickets and we'll do the usual names-in-a-hat draw next Monday. Usual T&Cs apply (i.e. my mother's decision is final).


Chin chin x

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,