Another award. And an awkward moment.

I won another award this week and this time I swear I didn't even know it was coming. Well, I knew I might win something at Monday's Harpers Wine & Spirit Awards because I'd been shortlisted. Indeed my name was called out and I stood up. In front of more than 200 people. Only for my friend Charlotte to grab my arm and say "f*cking sit down! It's not you. You're runner up!". So I did, and sank back into my seat (and gin) to hide my embarrassment. When it came to the final award of the night, the one for special achievement, I looked around the room wondering who might win it this year. Took another slug of gin. And suddenly heard the word 'knackered' over the microphone. I looked up to see people grinning at me across the table. I vaguely heard some more words - blog, book, bubbly (not sure if that was about me or my drink of choice) - and then my name was called and people clapped. It was really emotional. Now I know how Faye Dunaway felt. OK, clearly I am overstating it, but indulge me. It's a great pic. And it's not like I'll let it go to my head. Now, peel me some grapes.

Terry O'Neill's famous 'morning after The Oscars' picture, taken at The Beverley Hills Hotel, 1977
Current white in the fridge: Cono Sur Viognier 2011, £6.21 on offer, Waitrose
A flamboyant wine from the sun-soaked vineyards of Chile, this is made by a lovely man called Adolfo Hurtado. In fact, he's known as Goldfinger because so many of his wines win gold medals. I don't know if this one has won a medal but whatever, it is a golden, delicious wine. Properly ripe peach and apricot fruit, spicy too. Big flavours, so it's much better with food, especially our roast chicken the other night. No leftovers, food or wine.

Current red in the rack: Tesco Finest Cotes Catalanes Carignan 2011, £5.99 on offer, Tesco
Another great value wine from the Languedoc region in the south of France, this is made from the Carignan grape. Often thought of as a bit of a workhorse grape because of its ability to produce big yields, it can actually turn out quite nicely when done well. Like here: bramble fruit, with spice and punch. Almost meaty, in fact. I loved it. And so did my spaghetti bolognese. See, I am still doing my own cooking. Keeping it real.

Peace out, winos x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,