Drinking From The Bottle

Today, I have mostly been drinking from the bottle. Of Pholcodine, that is. What started as a sore throat is now a cold which, seeing as I taste wines for a living, is a bit of a bugger. So I'm throwing linctus (horrible word, almost as bad as moist) at the problem. That and a glass of red wine, of course. I'm not that ill. In other news, Masterchef is back. As you all know, I'm a close personal friend of John Torode (not. Read my John Torode story here). So it was with fire lit, kids in bed, and glass of red to hand I settled down to watch it. And felt much, much better. Just wish I didn't have jump up and cross my legs every time I sneezed.

Current white in the fridge: Zenato Villa Flora Lugana, £9.49, Waitrose
You know how I feel about Italian whites (mostly: yes please). This one, made from the Trebbiano grape, comes from vineyards on the southern shore of Lake Garda. See, even the sound of that makes you want to go on holiday, right? Anyway, in the glass it's all apple and pear fruit flavours, along with something that's just the right side of slightly nutty. Doesn't need food but made my leftover mashed potato and spring green 'hash' taste not quite so hashed. 

Current red in the rack: Ravenswood Lodi Zinfandel 2011, £9.99, Tesco
Made from old vines (not sure quite how old but I'm guessing more than 40yo, because if they class 40yo vines as old, I'm not sure I can buy this one anymore). And it's a blend of (mostly) Zinfandel and Petite Syrah grapes, grown in California's Lodi Valley. It's a fruit bomb, with almost indecent amounts of blackberry, smoky oak and spice. Oh, and alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol. 14.5%, roughly speaking. Any more than two glasses of this and I too will be roughly speaking. Lovely in small doses, though. 

Peace out, winos x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,