Half Term Treat

Hooray for half term. Sort of. As we crawl towards it, I'm half-excited, half-panicking. Excited about not having to set the alarm quite so early. Panicking about fitting in some work. The children are most excited about Halloween, obviously. Which has turned into a monster (pun intended). They usually come back from Trick or Treating with such an enormous haul of treats, I'm able to syphon off enough Haribo to fuel my own sweet habit for months. I'll be making up the usual batch of eyeball jellies (blueberry in a lychee in a glassful of jelly) along with something fizzy for the adults, of course. In the meantime, I have a treat for one of you. I met Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall when filming The Alan Titchmarsh Show recently and I've got a signed copy of his latest book, Light & Easy (£25, Bloomsbury) to give away. Just leave a comment on the blog here or on the KMWC facebook page and we'll pick a winner after half term*. 

Current white in the fridge: Territorio Torrontes 2013, £6.49, Tesco
I was sent this Argentinian white to try (don't cry for me). From one of the highest and driest vineyard locations in the world, in the north of Argentina. The grape is called Torrontes, not really found anywhere but here. And the style is decidedly floral, with a kind of lemony, jasmine thing going on. Light but not feeble, it's gorgeous. And great value. Loved my crab and avocado on toast (one of my favourite quick suppers when the Husband's away).  

Current red in the rack: Vinalba Cabernet Sauvignon Malbec Merlot, £7.50 (currently on offer), Sainsbury's
Another Argentinian wine, this time from the southernmost wine region. If you like big reds, this is one such. Made from a blend of traditional Bordeaux grapes, it's then aged in French barrels giving it a lovely oaky flavour along with masses of brambly black fruits. Proper autumnal wine, this one. Just add a sofa, blanket and a book. Half term happiness guaranteed. 

Peace out, winos x

*T&Cs:
1. Competition closes on 31st October at 11.59pm (spooky).
2. The prize draw is open to any UK resident over the age of 18.
3. My mother will pick out a name at random and her decision is final (it's her hat).

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,