This Little Piggy

Guess where I went last week? No, not to market. But neither did I stay at home. Rather, I had a night away in a hotel called The Pig - on the beach. It's in Studland Bay and I was asked to join a party for dinner and then stay the night. In a bed, on my own, with a sea view and pillows as plump as marshmallows. The hotel is picture perfect, with sweeping views over fields to the sea. I couldn't quite see the beach, but then a friend told me it's a nudist beach so I'm quite relieved about that. Dinner was freshly caught lobster, lamb chops and a beautiful pink blancmange rabbit (really) all washed down with achingly good wines. It was like a dream. The next morning I drank two of these and went wee, wee, wee, all the way home. 

Current white in the fridge: Cliffhanger Riesling 2013, £9.49, Tesco
My mum popped in for a glass of wine this evening and initially crinkled her nose when I offered her a glass of Riesling. But within minutes, she was sipping away quite happily on this lovely German wine from the Mosel Valley. Called Cliffhanger as a nod to the steep slopes on which the vines cling, the grapes have to be harvested by hand (too steep for tractors). And the wine is fresh, ripe and full on with lemon and lime flavours. Perfect gossip erudite discussion enabler. 

Current red in the rack: Truly Irresistible Barbera d’Asti 2012, £6.99, Co-op
Gotta love Italian reds like this, they are such good value for money. Made from the Barbera grape in the northern region of Piedmont, it's all about the juicy black cherry fruit. Simple but beautifully done, it doesn't need food but transformed my lazy plate of cheese and crackers to something approaching indulgent. Sent to me by the team at Co-op, but I'm going back for more.  

More pics of The Pig - on the beach taken by me (like you couldn't tell):

View from my room
Lots of lobster!
A pink blancmange rabbit, obviously. 
Sunrise over the bay
Peace out, winos x

Please note I was a guest of The Pig - on the beach for dinner, bed and breakfast in October 2014. 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,