Dahl-ing

Last night we had our latest Book Club meeting. Yet again, I failed to finish the book so had to ask a fellow BC member to fill me in on the details. I do try, really I do but in the evenings, once the children are done, food is cooked, a bit of telly is watched (sort of) I am done. Some of you might remember me swearing off the trash mags (I'm talking Hello!, not Heat) but they've crept back into my life because you don't need to commit to a magazine like you do a book. Actually, one of the happy byproducts of Book Club has been Other People's Recipes. Here's one of my favourites so far, Jessie's Dahl:

Chop onion, fry in lots of veg oil (1 inch in pan) – add garlic, ginger, black mustard seeds, turmeric, coriander and fresh chillies. In separate saucepan cook rinsed orange/red lentils in lots of salted water and add to pan of spices. Add can of tomatoes or tomato passata. Just before serving add loads of fresh chopped coriander.


This week's white in the fridge: Chilano Signature Series Chardonnay 2010, £4.49 on offer, Tesco
This was a huge success last night, everyone loved it. Made from Chardonnay grapes grown in Chile's Central Valley (which is enormous, btw) the wine is a gorgeous melon and citrus flavoured white with zip and grip. It doesn't shout too loud, but has enough flavour to make you want to swill and sniff, rather than simply glug. Just what you need to get Book Club started and a brilliant partner to sweet chilli crisps, as it happens. 


This week's red on the side: Rosso Del Molise Doc Riserva Gran Conti 2007, £4.99 on offer, Tesco
A mix of Aglianico and Montepulciano grapes from the Molise region in the middle of Italy, this is an absolute bargain. Cherry bright fruit with spice and a touch of smoky bacon (from the wine, not the crisps), this was a great match for the panic-bought lamb I bunged in the oven at tea-time. Three hours later, it was a very happy match for the wine. 


Chin chin x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,